During the winter season, the Village performs snow and ice removal operations on Village owned streets. The Village’s Public Works Department offers the following information to help ensure snowplow operations are accomplished in a safe and effective manner:
- Obstructions in the Village right-of-way are not allowed. Placement of obstacles, such as rocks, boulders, trees, shrubs, monument columns, and monument mailboxes that inhibit snowplowing and vehicular traffic movement or that prohibit maintenance of the right-of-way or obstruct vision are prohibited in the Village right-of-way.
- Depositing snow to streets creates a hazard and is very dangerous after it freezes. When removing snow from private property, please avoid shoveling snow onto or across Village streets or sidewalks.
- Parking is prohibited on any street during snowfall events. On-street vehicles impede the ability to clear the street of snow.
Please adhere to the following guidelines to report hazardous road conditions, such as ice, over two inches of snow accumulation, or drift, over roads:
- Any hour of the day, visit our website (www.vhw.org) and take advantage of the Report a Concern function to send a message directly to our Public Works department regarding road conditions.
- Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., please call (847) 540-5227 to report any concerns regarding road conditions.
The Village acts with great care during snow and ice events. However, snow removal efforts may result in damage to right-of-ways, parkways, and mailboxes. When a properly installed mailbox is damaged during Village snow plow operations, the mailbox will be repaired or replaced with a standard issue mailbox, as soon as possible. Please be sure your mailbox is located according to U.S. Postal regulations, as box placement too close to the roadway may result in damage.
Thank you, be safe.